Wednesday 9 March 2011

It's been a long time.....

.

however - with only 2 months to go to the next big one I thought it was really time to update!

I've signed up to do the Moonwalk London Half Marathon on th 14th May this year - I felt I needed a target to aim for - but am now wondering if i've bitten of a little bit more than I can chew!! So in the beginning of February I took the plunge and joined the local gym. Hubby has been fantastic at kicking me out of bed early in a morning to be at the gym doors ready for opening time at 6.30 - or kicking me out of the house in the late evening - to make sure I do at least 2 or 3 visits a week!

The first time I went nearly killed me - I was given a full induction, shown how to use the various machines, and then proceeded to give me a plan of action for what I should be doing each time I visit. I tried to follow it the next time I went and gave up on his ideas very quickly. Got totally fed up of my bum slipping off the bike seat every 30 seconds and having to reposition all the time. SO the bike went out the window! As for the cross trainer - whoever invented them needs to be shot - how the hell are you meant to know wether you're going backwards or forwards on the darn thing? So that's another one out of the window! Not doing too well here!

And then I discovered the Tread mill. I love this thing!!! Totally ignored the guys suggestion of a ten minute warm up on that, and just did 5 mins. Then off I staggered towards some of the weight machines. To my utter surprise - I really enjoy doing the machines. So, I followed his suggestions - and did 3 different upper body machines. All felt good! Thought to myself that I really need to push this cardio stuff - so toddled back to the tread mill. Managed this time to do 7.5 mins! Felt really proud of myself and somewhat energised.... a totally unknown feeling for me! So - off to the next set of machines - to work on my legs and bum. Now - these one's really aren't the most flattering machines to use - need to spread your legs with huge weights either on the outside of your thighs or inside of your thighs, and keep doing this - 3 sets of 15 on each. Think I only had about 5 kilo's on to start with - but that was fine! The last machine was one where you have to push your whole body using your legs. Another good one!

So now - a month later - I still follow pretty much the same programme as above - except the times have increased.. I still do a five minute warm up on the tread, followed by upper body machines - then 15 mins tread, leg machines - and then - 30 mins tread. The weights on the leg machines are now up to 30 kilos - and according to hubby my bum is really starting to firm up!!!

I really can't believe that i've managed to increase my stamina so much over such a short period of time. I'm still nowhere near that half marathon yet - but I do now believe that I might actually be able to finish the darn thing!!

The most amazing thing of all - is that this lazy, can't be bothered with exercise girl - is actually getting quite addicted to it and really enjoying herself! I even had a free session with a personal trainer last night - and boy did she push me to get out of my comfort zones. But you know what - it was fun even though it was hard work - and I learnt so much in just an hour! Somehow now need to find the funds to pay for some more sessions with her - having someone to push me really does work!!!

1 comment

Sandra said...

Well done you :) ... I'm sooooo impressed.

:a: :b: :c: :d: :e: :f: :g: :h: :i: :j: :k: :l: :m: :n:

Post a Comment